The Library Tree: How a Canadian woman brought the joy of reading to a generation of African children.
published by Great Plains Publications (www.greatplains.mb.ca)
“[Kathy Knowles is] proof that the vision and actions of just one person can make a tremendous difference in so many lives!”
— Michaëlle Jean, former Governor General of Canada,
following a visit to the Nima Library in November 2006.
This is the inspiring story of a Canadian woman who transformed a simple afternoon of reading to a group of children in her backyard in Ghana, Africa, into eight large community libraries in impoverished areas of the country’s capital, support for more than 200 smaller initiatives around Ghana and in other African countries, and a publishing venture that has produced 43 children’s books.
Kathy Knowles now runs her volunteer-based Osu Children`s Library Fund out of her Winnipeg home with twice-yearly trips to Ghana. Her work promoting libraries and literacy continues. Her newest library, a handsome 3 storey structure in the Korle Gonno area of Accra, was opened in November 2014.
May 8, 2017: Kathy Knowles will be in Ottawa to give a presentation to friends and supporters in the Ottawa region.
- Date: Monday, May 8, 2017
- Time: 7.00 p.m.
- Place: All saints (formerly All Saints Church, Sandy Hill) at Laurier East and Chapel.
A selection of our children’s books will be for sale.
- November 2016: Presentation at the Quebec Professional Association of Teachers (QPAT) meeting, Montreal
- In October 2016, Kathy Knowles and Deborah travelled to Washington D.C. to accept the Children’s Africana Book Award for the OCLF-published book, Nana and Me. The annual three-day event honoured authors and illustrators from different countries and included book presentations, a celebratory dinner and ended with a lively festival to introduce the winners to a large audience
- February 9, 2016: Guest speaker at the Kanata, Ontario CFUW (Cdn Federation of University Women)
- October 21, 2015: Presentation at the Philanthropic Educational Organization, Kanata, Ontario
- October 15, 2015: Guest speaker at the Leaside/East York (Toronto) CFUW (Cdn Federation of University Women)
- May 26, 2015: Presentation at the Y Service Club International, Ottawa
- November 29, 2014: Presentation at the Perth and District Union Public Library.
- November 19, 2014: Guest speaker at the Markham/Unionville branch of the CFUW (Cdn Federation of University Women)
October 2013 book promotion tour
A library member with the winning book.
An October book promotion tour took Kathy and Deborah to Winnipeg, Portage La Prairie, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Ottawa, Guelph, and Toronto.
2. Deborah signing her book for Adisa Yakabu of the Ghana High Commission.
For further information, please contact Deborah at this link.